FAVORITE QUOTES:

"BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECASUE THOSE WHO MIND DON'T MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DON'T MIND."

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Not the same 'flag of our fathers'

This is written by the brother in law of one of my co-workers. Bryan is an Apache Helicopter Pilot on his 3rd Tour. This editorial was published in Stars and Strips and yesterday in the Frederick News Post.

I hope you all get the same out of it that I did...

Not the same 'flag of our fathers'

CW3 BRYAN CALLAN Baghdad, Iraq Adamstown MD resident


I am currently stationed in Baghdad, Iraq, and life is good - as good as a combat zone can get. Nice lodging, meals and more dessert than one could ask for. I ask myself, what could possibly be missing?

As I walk around camp it becomes clear: Not one American flag is to be seen flying. Not one! Not over corps headquarters, not over any headquarters for that matter, not even over the U.S. embassy.

Sadly this is not a joke. I asked out of curiosity why no American flags were being flown and was told that "we" didn't want to appear like an occupying force, nor, for the sake of political correctness, did "we" want to offend someone.

With 155,000 troops in a country that has neither a fully functioning military nor government, I'd venture to say we are an occupying force. While it is painful enough to accept political correctness or bureaucratically dictated rules of engagement when dealing with terrorists, the failure to proudly fly "Old Glory" for fear of offending someone or appearing as an occupying force is just shameful. "Old Glory" has always flown proudly during all of America's wars until now.

No sir, today's flag is not the same "flag of our fathers," the flag that once stood for pride, righteousness, freedom and liberation for millions during our past good deeds and many occupations. Sadly, the colors remain "cased" in the name of political correctness. Is it too much to ask for "Old Glory" to be brought out of the shadows once again so she can fly above her soldiers in battle and stand as a beacon of hope for the oppressed?

In the usual politically correct fashion, let me apologize up front if I have

http://www.thenewspost.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=Rk5QLzIwMDcvMDkvMTIjQXIwMTAwNA==&Mode=HTML&Locale=english-skin-custom

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Personally I think it is BS that there is no flag flying!!!

Heather said...

Yeah, pesonally I think it BS for that and other reasons that I shouldn't mention on a public site. But, you know how I feel. We've talked about it before.